TechCrunch TechCrunch is a group-edited blog that profiles the companies, products and events defining and transforming the new web.
- Compass files S-1, reveals $3.7B in revenue on net loss of $270Mby Mary Ann Azevedo on March 2, 2021 at 2:26 am
Compass, the real-estate brokerage startup backed by roughly $1.6 billion in venture funding, filed its S-1 Monday. The move comes just under one year after the New York-based company laid off 15% of its staff as a result of the shifting economic fortunes created by the global response to the novel coronavirus pandemic. Prior to
- How China’s synthetic media startup Surreal nabs funding in 3 monthsby Rita Liao on March 2, 2021 at 1:31 am
What if we no longer needed cameras to make videos and can instead generate them through a few lines of coding? Advances in machine learning are turning the idea into a reality. We’ve seen how deepfakes swap faces in family photos and turn one’s selfies into famous video clips. Now entrepreneurs with AI research background
- Hyzon Motors’ hydrogen fuel ambitions include two US factoriesby Aria Alamalhodaei on March 2, 2021 at 12:32 am
Hyzon Motors plans to produce fuel cells, including a critical component required to power hydrogen vehicles, at two U.S. factories in a move aimed at kickstarting domestic production at a commercial scale. The hydrogen-powered truck and bus manufacturer has already leased a 28,000-square-foot facility in the Chicago suburb of Bolingbrook and plans to expand it
- Square’s bank arm launches as fintech aims ‘to operate more nimbly’by Mary Ann Azevedo on March 1, 2021 at 11:52 pm
Known for its innovations in the payments sector, Square is now officially a bank. Nearly one year after receiving conditional approval, Square said Monday afternoon that its industrial bank, Square Financial Services, has begun operations. Square Financial Services completed the charter approval process with the FDIC and Utah Department of Financial Institutions, meaning it’s ready for
- Kaltura files to go public on the back of accelerating revenue growth, rising lossesby Alex Wilhelm on March 1, 2021 at 11:41 pm
It's unicorn melting season, with gobs of investors hoping for liquidity while public markets are hot. Expect more Kalturas.
CNET Smart Home CNET takes you inside the Smart Home with easy-to-install technology upgrades that make homes more secure, energy efficient and comfortable.
- Starlink explained: What to know about Elon Musk's satellite internet venture - CNETby Ry Crist on March 1, 2021 at 11:15 pm
The billionaire SpaceX CEO is launching satellites into orbit, and promising to deliver high-speed broadband internet to as many users as possible.
- How to set up your Echo Show 10 - CNETby Molly Price on March 1, 2021 at 9:13 pm
If you're unboxing the latest Echo Show smart display, here's how you can customize it for your smart home.
- The best coffee maker for 2021 - CNETby Brian Bennett on March 1, 2021 at 4:30 pm
We tested many coffee makers from leading brands to learn which is best. On the list are models from Bonavita, Ninja, Oxo, Technivorm, KitchenAid and others.
- Storage tank water heaters vs. tankless water heaters - CNETby Mandy Sleight on March 1, 2021 at 12:42 pm
Here's everything you need to know about the two types of water heaters.
- By the way, Alexa -- could you please knock off the unwanted suggestions? - CNETby Dale Smith on March 1, 2021 at 12:00 pm
A recent surge of unsolicited advice is grating on people's nerves. Here's how to get Alexa to pipe down a bit.